I got chased by a hive of hornets. That was more scary than any bear encounter I’ve ever had!
My advice – go during the week. This place is a mob scene on weekends.
Maybe when they execute that creep Hilton Hustler would like to publish those photos.
I caught about two of the shows. The one about the birth of the parks in the 1800’s was particularly interesting considering in was a novel idea throughout the world at the time. Looking forward to these coming back on PBS so I can see the final four episodes.
I finally gave up on filters and went to Iodine. It’s lighter and with a little Gatoraide, tolerable even it hot weather.
Have you tried Savage Gulf? Very cool place. The State of TN takes great care of it.
The ATC is selling this video if you missed it and want a copy. Just Google the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and go to their store.
The A.T. goes through Wesser. You could do a short hike to a shelter that’s about a mile south from the N.O.C. I guess it’s a little late to tell you this but if you are ever back in the area. It’d be a nice, moderate hike.
I about froze my nards off one wet Spring hike in the Smokies. That was a killer.
They are the most hideous looking things on the planet. KS
Just downloaded it. I’ll try to post a profile map from it after this weekend. KS
I’m a college football fanatic. So I’ll be taking a portable radio in the backcountry this Oct.
Adding some podcasts would be cool – especially hiking related.
Backpacker also has an annual gear guide – worth the subscription to the magazine just to get this in my opinion.
A lighter works fine for me.