What caused your scariest moment on the trail?

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking Trail Talk What caused your scariest moment on the trail?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BirdShooter
    Keymaster

For me, it was other people:

Laid Back Sue and I spent a spooky night at this shelter located just off I-70/U.S. 40 on the A.T. in Maryland. After fleeing the shelter, making a 911 call, and being rescued by a park ranger neither one of us are entirely sure what happened that night. Seriously.

https://n2backpacking.com/my_hikes/maryland/ATMD1%207_94D.htm

Guests
    Participant

I about froze my nards off one wet Spring hike in the Smokies. That was a killer.

Stagefright
    Participant

Twisted my knee. The scarest part was that I was by myself when I did it. Fortunately, an older couple found me and helped me off the trail.

Guests
    Participant

I got chased by a hive of hornets. That was more scary than any bear encounter I’ve ever had!

gmyersut
    Participant

Encountered a grizzly bear sow with 2 cubs on a trail in the Jewel Basin Hiking Area just outside Glacier National Park. She was about 30 feet away from us and reared up on her hind legs — dang she looked powerful! We slipped out of our packs and scrambled down the talus slope below the trail until we saw her walking up the slope away from us. Whew!

Marymct
    Participant

My family and I were hiking on the Deep Gap trail in Blueridge, and this crazy German shepherd mix came out of nowhere and started attacking our dog. I have no idea what provoked this dog to this level of viciousness, but it turned into an all out brawl Our dog is a pittbull mix, so she was luckily able to hold her own. We had to repeatedly kick the dog before it would back off, but it still followed us all the way back. We warned everyone in parking lot an then we called park services

Guests
    Participant

I once scrambled up a rock face to get a better view and quickly found that I couldn’t get down. Needless to say I was solo. After that experience, I vowed to hike conservatively while alone or take a friend if I was feeling a bit adventureous.

Guests
    Participant

Definitely injury. I was exploring a flooded horizontal mine shaft in the Gila Wilderness when I came to a vertical shaft that I couldn’t see under the water. Took a bad fall that tried to tear off part of my left knee. Got an almost instant infection from all the bat guano and rotted wood in the water, and barely made it back to my car the next day. Lesson learned: Solo trips into min shafts are just flat stupid. DanO

TreeFrog
    Participant

Seeing Sasquatch in the Cascades!

Guests
    Participant

Quite frankly, people that carry guns on the trail scare me. I was in North Carolina at Mt. Mitchell one weekend and a guy had a gun strapped to his hip. He was a dad out with his kid and surprisingly wasn’t what I would deem a red neck by any means. Nonetheless, he was packin’ heat. I was more scared FOR him than I was OF him, but whatever the case someone like that is not the most inviting to meet on the trail.

April Flower
    Participant

A friend and I caught a ride with a guy that seemed totally normal – but didn’t want to let us out where we asked to be dropped off. In retrospect, he was probably drunk and harmless, but it was really scary at the time.

annabie
    Participant

Stagefright wrote:
    Twisted my knee. The scarest part was that I was by myself when I did it. Fortunately, an older couple found me and helped me off the trail.

You are lucky. You shouldn’t have gone hiking by yourself like that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.