Should visitiors be allowed to carry guns in national parks?

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking Trail Talk Should visitiors be allowed to carry guns in national parks?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TreeFrog
    Participant

I read recently that a bill was drafted and is getting traction on Capital Hill that would allow visitors to carry guns in National Parks. Supported by the NRA, the law would basically allow the state regulations to apply to any National Park within their borders. In Wyoming for instance, which is home to Grand Teton National Park, the state allows individuals to carry weapons if they have a permit. The new bill would thus make it possible to take the same weapon into the park. What do you think about that??

andyblack
    Participant

I don’t see anything wrong with law-adiding citizens carrying guns anywhere. My state legislature is about to vote let us carry guns in our state parks, and I fully support that bill, especially since a young woman (hiking with just her pet dog) was killed recently by a serial killer in one of our more remote parks.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

I’m on the fence. As a dude who wants to protect his family in the outdoors, sure why not.

Then again, as a father, I’m not so sure. I can’t imagine getting caught in a crossfire because two drunk morons were going at it. Trust me, getting shot at is NO FUN when you can’t shoot back.

TTF
    KSVN, Ga

Grey
    Participant

I believe if one has a permit, carrying a firearm in a State or National park should also be okay. That said, I’m not entirely satisfied with the conditions for getting a Georgia permit to carry. I think that completing a firearms use and safety course should be mandatory before a permit is issued, and that the training course should include a test – not only a written test, but a marksmanship test. I don’t want a well-intentioned citizen to accidentally shoot an innocent bystander because they can’t use the weapon.

mudpuppy
    Participant

Brother sent me to a gun safety class. I am a pretty good shot. However, I don’t like the idea of having to carry protection just because I am a lone woman on the trail or anywhere else for that matter. I probably won’t ever carry a gun just to hike, but I will keep taking self-defense classes and hiking with others.
    I don’t care much for the thought of people I don’t know having guns in the same wilderness area I am wondering around in.

Little John
    Participant

Possession of a fire arm should most definitely be allowed, given the recent events that have happened in the N. Georgia mountains. One can only wonder what might have happened differently had guns been on the victims. But only with proper registration and permitting of course. If someone is caught with an unregistered weapon, the same punishment should apply, if not worse.

TreeFrog
    Participant

Read the NPS morning report and you will support this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.