Personal Locator Beacon

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking Gear Personal Locator Beacon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

I’m no where near ready to be buying one of these yet but this is really cool.

The SPOT, Satellite Person Tracker (Backpacker Magazine March 2008, page 137). Alerts your family when you’ve reached your destination, sends a message that you’re hurt and that you need assistance from family/friends, or a 911 feature that will alert the Park Service, Cops, Hospital, National Guard, Marine Corps, Army’s 10th Mtn Div, the Boy Scouts of American, your third grade teacher, and Santa. It’s really neat though and actually not that expensive, until… You add on a hundred bucks yearly to subscribe to the service. With that and Sirius you’re already in the hole. Very small, GPS function.

Good website with a very cool Les Stroud “Survivorman” commercial.

Guests
    Participant

I just ready an article about the PLB’s in National Geographic. There was supposedly a big concern that hikers would trip them for minor issues, but that has not turned out to be the case. The high price point ($700 in some cases) has them in the hands of only serious adventurers, and to date they have saved many lives. Even some government officials admit that they may actually save them money because it is much easier, cheaper, quicker, to find someone lost or in an emergency situation. So I’m sold on them. Just need to find some cash reserves for a purchase.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Guest,

Never fear, the tax rebate is coming soon and you’ve got your dough.

TTF
    ksvn, ga

TreeFrog
    Participant

Based on what I’ve ready, I’m sold on ’em – especially in unfamiliar/remote terrain which is my favorite. Can’t say I’d use it in my backyard, though – ie. my home state of OH.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

SPOT Sattellite Messenger

Backpacker Editors Choice Award April 2008 issue

They did a really good writeup on the gadget. In case you don’t have access to Backpacker I’ll do my best to post their writeup. Please excuse typos…I’m medicated.

Now you can call in a rescue–or simply send the OK signal-from anywhere

First, the problem: Wilderness adventurers have always faced a delemma when choosing how to call in help. Cell phones are useless in remote locations without reception. Satellite phones are generally reliable, but heavy and expensive. Personal locater beacons are lightweight and reliable, but they can only send one message and emergency recsue alert, even if you just have an ankle sprain.

Now, the solution: SPOT, an internet tracking beacon that wighs less than 8 ounces and uses GPS to determine your location, then transmits it along with your safety status to pre-selected contacts via email or text message. The waterproof, floatable, soap bar sized SPOT has three key functions:

* 911: Push this and GeOS Alliance, a global rexue coordination company, contacts local authorities (24/7) and directs them to your location. Repeats every 5 minutes. You can also cancel any distress call and offers optional rescue insurance.

*HELP: If you’re stranded but not in any immediate danger, pushing this and up to 4 people you pre-selected will receive an email with a link to Google Maps showing your location. This is useful if, you’ve just twisted an ankle or are lost but not injured in which case friends or rangers can find and help you. If they choose to alert authorities, rescuers will know the situation is serious but not dire and can respond appropriately.

* OK: This feature gives your anxious spouse, mom, or envious friends the peace of mind that you’re safe, prevent them from initiating premature SAR efforts should you merely be overdue, and also lets them follow your trip with a Google Map link showing your location. Your contacts can log in to your account and check your progress at any time, you don’t need to do a thing.

During six weeks of sending test messages from canyons, timerbed ravins, and alpine cirques, the SPOT reliably broadcast OK reports anywhere we had a decent view of the sky (such as a canyyon with a 30 degree arc of view overhead. Check the SPOT website for coverage detail. Like a GPS, it needs time to orient and should be left on for at least 30 minutes- ideally stationary and face up-when transmitting. In risky situation, simply leave it on. Two AA lithium batteries last long enough for 1,000 to 1,200 OK messages, or several weeks of continuous tracking.

7.3 oz, $159 plus the basic subscription of $99/yearly: Options: Tracking for %50/year, rescue insurance for $8/yer (pays up to $100K in SAR fees). 866-651-7768; findmespot.com

As soon as I get back from Iraq, hopefully the price is down a bit more and I’ll be getting it. Was thinking on getting one anyway while I’m in Iraq for the wife but not sure how effective it would be in a moving helicopter. We have two GPS’ in the a/c and they work great so that’s a question I’d have to ask the company about I think.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

I’ve been talking with the company for about a week now in regards to SAR applications for Army Aviation and having the Spot with us in our flight vest as we fly.
    Today I was offered a complimentary unit. I have to activate it out of my own pocket (hopefully my unit will foot that bill for training purposes) so I’ll soon be giving you my impressions on the Spot.

A good website I was given from the rep is:

sales.findmespot.com

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Stories I’ve been told:

In talking with the company and a few reps I’ve heard a few interesting stories.

How To Catch A Crook:

At a baja race out West a motorcycle competitor crashed and was injured. He was airlifted out to a hospital and his bike was left behind. Some dude decided to steal the bike and not knowing the bike had a SPOT attached to it, he was promptly arrested. The SPOT allowed the riders wife to track the location of the bike (an added optional service). One for the good guys.

The tracking feature ups the yearly service agreement up to about $150. The trick is to just periodically press the ok button and this will allow friends and family to track you and will save you $50 a year.

Just In Time:

A guy’s 98 yr old mother saw the SPOT on TV and bought one for her son who spend a lot of time in Alaska as a security guard and w/o a telephone. She wanted a way to be sure her son was okay and asked him to send her an okay message twice a week. He did so for several weeks. During the Winter the lodge he was guarding (think “The Shining” heating went out and hypothermia was beginning to become a very real possibility. He went outside and built a huge fire but eventually passed out (details are a bit vague here as I was having two coversations at this time).. In the end, his extremeties began to freeze and just before passing out he hit the 911 feature and he was rescued by the Air National Guard in the nick of time, barely.

Like I said, I’ll let you all know what I think soon.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Still no beacon, me thinks it was a false promise.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Gear Junkie’s review of the Spot.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

I take it back, received the Spot today. Stay tuned for a thorought review soon.

Initial impression: It’s cool but really not a lot ot be excited about. Comes with 2 lithium AA’s, user guide which is easy to understand. The unit itself is very ruggedized by appearance and has a bit of heft to it which makes me feel good about durability. Comes with a plastic belt clip on the back which I wish was some type of metal, just to make it even more durable.
    Packaging is way overdone if you’re into green lifestyles. It’s all very cool to look at but like I said, way way overdone as I can’t figure out the purpose of it all as it’s not cushioning or anything.

TTF
    KSVN, Ga

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Okay, here’s the review.

Rec’d it about a month ago now and here’s the scoop. If you’re a dayhiker,weekender in National Parks, I don’t think I’d invest in one of these. If you’re a someone that goes into the backcountry, a forest worker, park employee, fire services, or military, buy it and subscribe, or you just want it, it’s worth it.

I’ve used it to track our movements along normal tourists trails, boating trips, driving around town and I haven’t lost reception yet (but i have NOT been in the deep forests with it).

The SPOT’s going to get a workout in July in TN//NC as I continue my quest to summit hike in Tn and NC, do some climbing, and do a lot of trout fishing.
    More to follow.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

The SPOT definitely has some issues with sending out signals in wooded areas or if you’re on the move. Still a good product, just needs some improving.

TTF,
    SVN, Ga

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.