Great Smoky Mountains Backcountry Rules and Regulations

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking How To Hike And Backpack Great Smoky Mountains Backcountry Rules and Regulations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tree Top Flyer

It’s not too early to begin your planning.
    Backpackers and hikers are subject to all Backcountry Rules and Regulations. Failure to abide by park regulations may subject you to a fine under Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. Maximum fine for each violation is $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail.

Backcountry Rules and Regulations

1. You must possess a backcountry permit while camping in the backcountry.

2. Camping is permitted only at designated sites and shelters.

3. Use of reserved sites and shelters must be confirmed through the Backcountry Reservation Office.

4. You may stay up to three consecutive nights at a site. You may not stay two nights in a row at a shelter.

5. Maximum camping party size is eight persons.

6. Open fires are prohibited except at designated sites. Use only wood that is dead and on the ground. Use only established fire rings.

7. The use of tents at shelters is prohibited.

8. Food storage: When not being consumed or transported, all food and trash must be suspended at least 10 feet off the ground and four feet from the nearest limb or trunk, or shall be stored as otherwise designated.

9. Toilet use must be at least 100 feet from a campsite or water source and out of sight of the trail. Human feces must be buried in a six-inch-deep hole.

10. All trash must be carried out.

11. All plants, wildlife, and natural and historic features are protected by law. So not carve, deface, or cut any trees or shrubs.

12. Polluting park waters is prohibited. Do not wash dishes or bathe with soap in a stream.

13. Pets, motorized vehicles, and bicycles are not permitted in the backcountry.

Source: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm

TreeFrog
    Participant

A few friends and I take a week off every year and drive south to the Smokies. We used to go in the fall, but now prefer the winter when there aren’t a lot of backcountry hikers. The Smokies are a great place off-season, but don’t let all these rules fool you. There are still good times to be had there. The rules are just a necessity due to the heavy use the park gets. Be sure to head to the backcountry on your visit. The frontcountry can be over-run with people – especially in the summer months.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

That’s a great post Treefrog. I just read, A Walk in the Woods four times in a row, lot’s of time out doing Army training, and it had me believing the Smokies weren’t very fun. Suddenly I remembered I grew up hiking that area and never noticed how bad they, the rules or crowds were, in fact, I have always had a blast hiking in the Smokies.

Wayne

April Flower
    Participant

I hike with my dog a lot – so places like the Smokies aren’t my fav. I much prefer the National Forest land where they are a little “looser” with things.

Tree Top Flyer
    Participant

Then may I suggest a hike to Starr Mtn after you read a bit of the history about “The Hermit of Starr Mountain.” You can google Starr Mountain and read up on it and there’s also a book out but you can get the picture from the stuff on the web. Starr Mtn is located in McMinn County, Tn. It’s a great place to bike, hike, and ride horses.

Guests
    Participant

I’m with the Flower on this one. Too many rules and too many people in the Smokies. Nantahala or Pisgah NF are much better in my opinion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.