"Day Hikes on Maui" by Robert Stone – Book Review

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking Books/Podcasts/Videos "Day Hikes on Maui" by Robert Stone – Book Review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Guests
    Participant

“Day Hikes on Maui” by Robert Stone is one of a small collection of books that accompany me to Maui each time I visit the island. Due to the diversity of the geography and geology of Maui a book like this is needed to get exposure to the broad experience of the island. The book gives a detailed description of 55 day hikes. The hikes cover a broad range of distance, difficulty, elevation, ease of access, and time required.

The book is organized in a geographically logical base. Hike #1 is to the Nakalele Blowhole at the northern tip of West Maui. The hikes follow down along the west coast of Maui through Lahaina with Hike #16, Waihee Ridge completing the loop to the northern shore of the western lobe. Hike #17 takes us to the Kamaole Beaches in Kihei and then continue to Hike # 24, Le Perouse Bay to Cape Hanamanioa, at the southern tip of the east lobe of Maui. Hike #25 takes us to the Kahana Pond Wildlife Sanctuary and then we follow the winding road to Hana along the northern coast of the east lobe. After passing through Hana we end with Hike #55, Pipiwai Trail to Makahiku and Waimoku Falls.

Each trail has two pages of description:

Hiking Distance: Round trip distance in miles

Hiking Time: A conservative estimate of the time required

Elevation Gain: Either Level or the elevation gain in feet

Maps: Listing of the appropriate USGS map and other available maps

Summary of hike: A narrative description of the hike including type of trail, the destination, and various features found along the way.

Driving Directions: Detailed instructions on how to get to the trailhead. These start with the numbered highways and then street and road names with specific distances in tenths of a mile for each section. Landmarks at turning points are also clearly identified. Each section ends with a note on available parking.

Hiking Directions: Detailed description of each hike. The best example of the thoroughness of these sections is to quote the book on a sample hike. From the book’s description of Hike #1, the Nakalele Blowhole, one of the shorter hikes at only one mile round trip.

Follow the old jeep road/trail as it winds into the ironwood tree grove. Continue the gradual descent east past the Coast Guard beacon and down to the ocean. thee path ends beyond the beacon. walk out over the lava shelf past tide pools towards the farthest point. The blowhole is in a cove east of Nakalele Point. If you have any difficulty locating the blowhole, listen for the frequent eruptions. Explore the amazing jagged landscape along your own route.

As you can see, a very detailed description. The description is also one of the shortest in the book. Longer hikes get proportionately longer descriptions.

I recommend that you get a copy of “Day Hikes on Maui” by Robert Stone as you explore the beauty of the island.

John Paige is a writer, researcher, and student of how technology can be used to enhance the quality of life

Article Source: EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Paige

BirdShooter
    Keymaster
    Guests
    Participant

I plan to go to Maui this winter. Can someone recommend a hike here? I have heard that the hiking is phenomenal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.