Chattooga River Do’s/Don’ts

Home Forums Hiking And Backpacking Long Distance Hiking Trails Chattooga River Trail Chattooga River Do’s/Don’ts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BirdShooter
    Keymaster

I was recently asked the do’s/don’ts of hiking the Chattooga River Trail via email and thought someone else might benefit from the response. Anyone hiker is welcome to add to the list:

DO
    – take your time and do some fishing/swimming along the way

– hike the section from Ellicott Rock to Burrell’s Ford (which is sometimes not included in the Chattooga River trail calculation)

– take the side trails to Spoonauger Falls and Kings Creek Falls

– get Tim Homan’s book which describes the route very well and gives you a lot of history, etc

– avoid the weekend, if possible, especially around Burrell’s Ford

DON’T

– expect it to be easy and flat since there are sections that run you up and away from the river

– forget your tevas or aqua socks since you’ll want to get wet – especially in the summer

– hike without a map since the Foothills Trail and Bartram Trail join/separate from the Chattooga River Trail and it can get confusing at times

https://n2backpacking.com/long_trails/crt/crt_sections.htm

swampfox
    Participant

Thanks for the list Birdshooter,
    I’ve done that end of the Foothills Trail a few times. We took a bunch of Boy Scouts from the Fishhatchery to Oconee SP last spring and we’ve camped along the Chattooga several times. I really like that area.
    In September, I’m introducing a camping buddy to backpacking. We’re planning to start at Sloan Bridge and hike the Fork Mountain Trail to Ellicott Rock and along the Chattooga to Burrell’s Ford, just like you suggested.

BirdShooter
    Keymaster

Excellent, let us know how it goes in a trip report:

Chattooga River Trail – Ellicott Rock

To all backpackers: the “Don’ts” shown here mainly apply to the sections south of Burrell’s Ford. The hike to Ellicott Rock is much easier and stays closer to the river.

Mister Krabs
    Participant

Adding to the Do Not list. Do Not plan on staying near warwoman ford. It’s got road access and is a mess. Every campsite we passed had uncovered toilet paper and human waste and garbage. It was awful, near the trail, near creeks. GROSS.

We did enjoy our walk from russell bridge almost to sandy ford, we stayed at a great campsite right on the river. We saw both Horses and ATVs on the trail near warwoman ford. They were tearing up the treadway and leaving trash.

swampfox
    Participant

BirdShooter wrote:
    Excellent, let us know how it goes in a trip report:

Chattooga River Trail – Ellicott Rock

My trip report is here.

Fork Mountain Trail- Sloan’s Bridge to Burrell’s Ford

swampfox

Anonymous

hey guys, quick question. I’m not from the area so I could use your input. I’m planning a trip next weekend that will start at the walhalla hatchery, follow the east fork to the river trial and head south over the next few days to the russel bridge parking area…obviously we will be shuttling cars. I’m taking a beginner….is this trip too tough for them?

Anonymous
    Anonymous

I noticed a cnoemmt about Amsterdam in your most recent entry- I don’t know if you will find yourself north anytime soon, but do NOT miss Holland- it was amazing! You’ll love the canals and the old buildings, and the people were wonderful. Not to mention the biggest bike parking facility in the world you and your camera would have fun there! If you’re headed up there at any point, let me know, and we can probably set you up with some of Nic’s family to show you around (if you want- he has some pretty awesome cousins!) Hope you’re well! Talk soon.

Anonymous

I know this is Short notice wteehar is going to be Fantastic tomorrow going for a ride to Florence, Coolidge and back to Catalina. It is the same route we will ride on the 3rd of Dec for the Toy Drive/Poker Run. Meeting at the Players Pub on Oracle in Catalina Sat the 29th at 10am kickstands up at 10:30. Hop[e some can make it.King Rat

Anonymous

Hey Kevin- (Emily Evans here)Since you are in Italy, you should stop by the Island of Capri.. you would get fattasnic pics there.. the ocean is a very pretty blue green with gardens built by rulers and such they have this cave the Blue Grotto that you take a boat to.. again, wonderful pics! Hope you are having fun! Glad I stumbled upon your site!!! Best wishes!Emily Evans

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.