It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 pm 

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Just read an article at Appalachian Trials on "9 Things A Former Thru-Hiker Wishes She Had Known Before Hitting The Trail".  And what was on the list?   My personal favorite....

#7 Listen to music:

" It will help keep you positive in the present as you hike and afterwards the music you listened to will become a time machine back to exact moments on the trail. You may not know the place or even the state but the song will bring back a perfectly rendered memory. "

Many go in to the woods to leave technology behind.  Yet I work in technology, and I promise you that when I go in to the woods there's nothing more that I want to do than leave technology behind.

But when you are hiking ~ 2200 miles to Maine - it's a long, long way to walk.  Yes, music helps - believe me.  Actually, everything helps - hiking in silence, listening to the birds, talking with a day-hiker or fellow thru-hiker, and  ..... even listening to music for an hour or two.  (It's an 8-12 hour thru-hiking day, you know.)

So this week, I've been listening to cassette tapes that a group of friends made me for my hike in 1994.  I summited Mt. Katahdin 20 years ago this October, and the music does bring me back - as the article states.  There truly is a soundtrack to a thru-hike (and your life.)  And yes ... all the memories do come flooding back.

Even if it origiinated on cassettee tapes that were played on a yellow waterprooof Walkman.   On a thru-hike ... the music does matter, maybe not today - but tomorrow.