springer mountain parking area to amicalola falls state park - Member Hike

Hike Name: springer mountain parking area to amicalola falls state park
State: Georgia
Nearby Town: dahongalahla
Rating: 5 stars
Directions: turn at corner of hwy 52 next to the dollar general store onto big creek road and follow it to usfs 42 which will take you approximately 6.5 miles to get to the parking area for springer mountain. I do not recommend driving to the parking area by coming in by the nimblewill church on usfs28 as the road is very rough and not well marked.
Total Hike Distance: 9.80 miles
Hike Difficulty: Difficult
Permit Required: Yes
Hike Type: One-Way, Shuttle Hike
Hike Starts: springer mountain parking area usfs road 42
Hike Ends: Amicalola falls state park welcome center
Trails Used: AT trail, AT approach trail
Backcountry Campsites: Yes
Backcountry Water Sources: Streams, Springs
Management: None
Contact Information: Unknown
Best Season: Spring
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Maintained Gravel or Dirt Roads, Four Wheel Drive Recommended
Hike Summary: The AT trail from the parking area is a bit confusing as to which way goes to springer mountain but after consulting my guide book I realized that I had to cross the usfs road 42 and head up the hill upon which I was reassured by a sign which said springer mountain was 0.9 tenths of a mile ahead. After a short hike I passed a sign for the benton mackaye trail and then at approximately mile 0.8 tenths I saw a sign for the springer mountain shelter where you can get water from a spring, use the privy or stay the night in a three sided shelter with a loft and there are cables to hang your food on to keep it out of the reach of bears. After registering at the rock on top of Springer mountain I started down Springer mountain towards Amicalola falls state park. There is one shelter known as Black Gap in the guide books for the AT which is approximately 1.5 miles from the top of Springer mountain. The water is on the opposite side of the trail from this shelter which is about half the size of the one on top of springer mountain. It has a picnic table and there is a privy outback with bear cables to hang your food on. The hike down was not all down as I soon learned when I got to the nimble will gap. At last I reached Amicalola falls which was magnificent to see the rushing waters over the rocks as you descend down a stair case of 605 steps that winds back and forth before reaching the bottom then there is a short hike to the welcome center and the last shelter which is shortly before it which is screened in on the front and has bunk beds.

Hiker:

sadonna

10,850 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

Date Rating Duration Hiker
springer mountain parking area to amicalola falls state park - June 5, 2013 June 5, 2013 5 stars 5 hours, 30 minutes sadonna

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply