CRT Short Hike April 2011 - Member Hike

Hike Name: CRT Short Hike April 2011
State: South Carolina
Nearby Town: Mountain Rest
Rating: 3 stars
Directions: SC11 to whitewater falls road then turn left on Wigington byway follow until SC107 and turn left. follow unitl you pass the Walhalla Fish Hatchery. Burrells Ford Road will be another couple miles on the right. Follow Burrells Ford road to the Parking are on the left. After parking start walking down the same road you came in on and the trail head is on your right marked by a sign board.
Total Hike Distance: 3.00 miles
Hike Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: In & Out, Backtrack Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Burrells Ford parking area
Trails Used: Chattooga River Trail
Backcountry Campsites: Yes
Backcountry Water Sources: Rivers
Management: State Forest Service
Contact Information: Unknown
Best Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Secondary Paved Roads, Maintained Gravel or Dirt Roads
Hike Summary: A short out and back trip for my little ones first hiking trip. Took my son (9) and littlest daughter (5). Includes a nice .1 mile side trail to Spoonauger Falls. Started at trail head off Burrells Ford road and hiked about a mile and a bit to a nice backwoods camping site right along the Chatooga River. The return was back down the same path. The trail was easy to moderate. There were just a few tributary crossings that were a little challenging. The worst was the outlet from Spoonauger Falls. Had to carry the littlest across this one. The weather was very nice a little chilly at night with the lows in the low 40s but the days were perfect right around 70. It had just rained the day before so the falls were very nice. The river was a little higher than it was when i was hear a month earlier.

Hiker:

Kevin Cundiff

950 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

Date Rating Duration Hiker
CRT Short Hike April 2011 - April 16, 2011 April 16, 2011 3 stars 2 days Kevin Cundiff

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply