What is the best long distance trail in the U.S.?

This forum is dedicated to long distance hiking and backpacking. Enter any feedback or comments about the Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, etc. here.
Guests

Post by Guests » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 am

Hey, how about some love for the Chilkoot Trail here? Where else can you hike in two country's, one state/two provinces, and walk in the footsteps of Jack London and thousands of Stampeders aiming for the Klondike gold fields? Did I mention the scenery? Outstanding!

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Sun May 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Id have to go with the Con. Divide, because from there U can pee in both oceans @ once!

Guests

Post by Guests » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 am

I think the CDT takes it hands down. Every type of climate and terrain in the US is on this trail. At least in New Mexico, there is very little traffic on the trail, even on Holiday weekends. I particularly like the fact that it goes from Mexico to Canada. You can Start the trip with a hearty Huevos Rancheros in old Mexico, and finish it with a Labatt's and a steak in Canada.

Guests

Post by Guests » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 am

The John Muir wins this no question! Great scenery, Yosemite, Sequia NP, Whitney. Nuff said.

Guests

Post by Guests » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 am

Agree with John Muir comments. Outstanding trail and far superior to the A.T. in my opinion (although it may not quite have the comraderie. www.trailjournals.com has my online journal.

Guests

Post by Guests » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:48 am

I can't believe you left the Colorado Trail off this list.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/

The scenery blows away the A.T. (leading the poll right now). Check out the site and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Tom Wise

cat

Post by cat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:16 pm

I too would vote for the Colorado Trail- the most beautiful other than maybe the CT.

TreeFrog

Post by TreeFrog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I can't believe the PCT isn't getting more love here.

gmyersut

Post by gmyersut » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

I have only hiked portions of the CDT and the PCT, and it was back in the 1970s, so my opinion is really dated. The PCT had a lot more people on it than the CDT so I preferred the CDT for the solitude at that time. The scenery on both trails was spectacular. The AT is still on my bucket list, however. There are others, too. The Chilkoot Trail in Alaska is spectacular, but it is only 33 miles long -- not really a long trail. What about the Pacific Northwest Trail and the Great Western Trail? I have hiked them both (again, not through), and they are very worthy long trails.