Citrus Tract - Florida National Scenic Trail - Member Hike

Hike Name: Citrus Tract - Florida National Scenic Trail
State: Florida
Nearby Town: Inverness
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: The Citrus Hiking Trail is the state’s longest backpacking loop trail in a single contiguous forest and is Central Florida’s most rugged hiking trail, with aggressively rolling sandhills, steep descents into sinkholes, and rock-strewn footpaths. Hikers enjoy a stunning array of contrasting habitats and numerous opportunities for wildlife encounters. It is also a well-groomed trail, easily followed, with a clearly defined footpath and signposts at trail junctions. Orange blazes designate the outer loop, while blue blazes mark the cross trails and side trails.

Backpacking the perimeter Citrus Hiking Trail can take up to 4 days and requires some logistical planning. There are no surface streams, so you must consider this a dry trail. Karst features – sinkholes and solution holes – seasonally retain some rainfall, as do flatwoods ponds. There are only four permanent water sources along the trail, so check the map first and determine beforehand if you need to cache water jugs at forest road crossings before you start hiking. The designated primitive campsites have no water sources.
Total Hike Distance: 12.00 miles
Hike Difficulty: No Answer
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: Roundtrip, Loop Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Mutual Mine or Holder's Mine
Trails Used: Citrus Tract
Backcountry Campsites: Yes
Backcountry Water Sources: None
Management: State Forest Service
Contact Information: http://www.floridatrail.org/web/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=146
Best Season: Winter, Spring
Users: Hikers
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads, Secondary Paved Roads, Maintained Gravel or Dirt Roads
Hike Summary: This is a nice tract not far from Tampa. I met some new friends from the Florida Trail Association and had a great day hike of about 12 miles.

Hiker:

Lenny

10,500 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply