Moore Cove Falls - Member Hike

Hike Name: Moore Cove Falls
State: North Carolina
Nearby Town: Brevard
Rating: 3 stars
Directions: Moore's Cove Falls is located in the Pisgah National Forest, about a mile north of Looking Glass Falls on U.S. route 276. The parking area and trailhead for Moore's Cove Falls is located on the right (east) side of 276, approximately 5 miles north of the ranger station. It is hard to miss the Looking Glass Falls area when traveling north on 276, so just look for the Moore's Cove Falls parking area one mile further on by a bridge.
Total Hike Distance: 2.00 miles
Hike Difficulty: Easy
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: In & Out, Backtrack Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Moore's Cove Falls parking area
Trails Used: Moore Cove Falls
Backcountry Campsites: No
Backcountry Water Sources: Streams
Management: National Park Service
Contact Information: Unknown
Best Season: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads
Hike Summary: Moore's Cove Falls makes for a nice little outing. The hike is easy and pleasant, but long enough to give you a little bit of a feeling of remoteness. The falls itself is interesting, especially because you can actually walk behind it. The only catch is that Moore's Cove Falls can virtually disappear during dry periods, so pick a time after a good rain or you will see only a trickle.

The trail from the parking area is mostly level, with a bit of a steep section in the beginning. It takes about 15 minutes to reach the waterfall. The water plunges down off of an overhanging rock layer, and free falls 50 feet to the base. It's easy to walk on the rock behind the falls and get some interesting vantage points. It's a great place to explore.

Hiker:

Found-2-Gether

750 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

One reply on “Moore Cove Falls - Member Hike”

Thanks for the hike. I went there last year, but thought it was too touristy, especially since its near Looking Glass Falls.

Have you been to Twin Falls? Its a 4 mile hike a few miles from this one, but much, much cooler (and less crowded). Plus you can walk behind one of the twin falls. It reminds me a lot of Douglas Falls, actually.

Anyway, hope you add some more- since I live in Asheville, I like to hear of new places to try out!

Leave a Reply