East Palisades Trail - Member Hike

Hike Name: East Palisades Trail
State: Georgia
Nearby Town: Roswell
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: Exit 16, I-285, South on Riverside. Turn right on Mount Vernon, then left on Northside Drive. Follow this to Indian Trail. Parking is at the end of Indian Trail. Additional parking is available by going further south on Northside Drive. Turn right on Harris, then bear right on Whitewater. Riverview Road also has gated access to the park. Look for a brown gate on the south side of the road.
Total Hike Distance: 3.00 miles
Hike Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: Roundtrip, Loop Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Indian Trail parking lot
Trails Used: blue blaze
Backcountry Campsites: No
Backcountry Water Sources: Streams, Springs
Management: State Park Service
Contact Information: http://georgiatrails.com/trails/eastpalisades.html
Best Season: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads
Hike Summary: Trails
3 mile loop. Beautiful and peaceful. Dirt/clay trail which get REALLY muddy after the rain. This was very doable but not easy with a jogging stroller. I would not recommend it without one (or an all terrain). I would not have been able to do what I did with our regular Chicco stroller. There are a lot of tree roots on the trail and about 10 or so tree trunks crossing the path (in one area, three cross the path all together - don't let this discourage you - this path is the easiest way). You have to go over these - you can't go around them.
As a rule of thumb, stay to the left when the trail spits. I did not follow this rule and spent 30 minutes on a sharp incline with tons of tree roots. I was not able to finish after that craziness, only to learn upon turning around that I went the wrong way and it should have been a relatively easy 5 minute walk.
Trails are in all shade, and we got a good breeze from the water (at least today we did). Bring Skin So Soft -- it was cool today but the mosquitoes were still out because it is such a lush forest and by the water.

Other
We saw blue heron, babies ducks, pretty native wildflowers, tons of song birds and more. It was very nice.
If you are a timid walker, you may want to bring a sling rather than a stroller. There are some tiny paths, steep drops and big holes (from tree roots coming out of the ground). I am a wimp and I still did it, but it is not a piece of cake.
There is a $3 parking fee here.
Great places to bring the kids to play in the water, especially right by the parking lot.
There are not any restrooms that I saw.
People were fishing there which was nice.

Hiker:

leslipeterson

1,350 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply