Snowy Mountain - Adirondack State Park - Member Hike

Hike Name: Snowy Mountain - Adirondack State Park
State: New York
Nearby Town: Indian Lake, NY
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: the trailhead is accessed via a parking lot on NY - Rte 30, about 6.5 miles south of Indian Lake in the lower peaks of Adirondack State Park
Total Hike Distance: 7.40 miles
Hike Difficulty: Difficult
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: In & Out, Backtrack Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: at the trailhead in the parking lot on Rte 30
Trails Used: the trail for the summit of Snowy Mountain, which eventually leads to a fire tower near the summit
Backcountry Campsites: No
Backcountry Water Sources: None
Management: State Park Service
Contact Information: Adirondack State Park
Best Season: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads, Secondary Paved Roads
Hike Summary: Snowy Mountain is the highest peak in the Lower Adirondacks (south of the Adirondack High Peaks, where the more famous 4k'ers live). During the spring and summer, as with the other hiking opportunities in the park, watch out for biting insects.

The trail to the destination starts at a parking lot off of Rte 30, and has a log book to record summit attempts. After signing in, the trail, which is studded with the ankle-busters (small and large rocks) that the Adirondacks are famous for, meanders through a forest for about 2 miles.

After coming to large stone slabs on the trail, it's about time to prepare for the final 1.2 miles of rock scramble which gives the path its difficulty. This part of the trail probably should not be attempted under wet conditions without good shoes, as some parts are rather steep and/or slippery.

The summmit lies immediately after the rocks, providing a nice reward for an honest amount of effort. The trail can be followed to reach a fire tower and (if memory serves) a shelter near the summit. On a clear day, the views are rather nice. On a foggy day, watch out for the edge when walking around the top of the mountain.

Retrace your steps to get back to the car

Hiker:

chachiren

2,050 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

Date Rating Duration Hiker
Snowy Mountain - Adirondack State Park - August 11, 2004 Trip Report August 11, 2004 4 stars 4 hours chachiren

Comments

3 replies on “Snowy Mountain - Adirondack State Park - Member Hike”

Feb 14 2014,hiked that trail to the top. It was brutal. Winds blowing at 40 to 50 miles an hour. Total white out conditions. Drove 70 miles to get there, so I was determined to make it to the top. Never saw the fire tower or any structures, I didn’t know they were there till I got home to research what I had just accomplished. Once I reached the clearing it was blizzard conditions I couldn’t see a 100 ft. It took 3 1/2 hrs to reach the summit, fresh blowing and drifting snow was at times almost 2 ft deep.I’m sure there is an awesome view from atop but I never saw it. I made this trek after working all night, I don’t recommend trying this. Under good conditions I see where this hike could take 4 or 5 hours.I took me almost 6 1/2 hours. And at 51 years old it damn near killed me.

Leave a Reply