AT:Carvers Gap-Stan Murray Shelter - Member Hike

Hike Name: AT:Carvers Gap-Stan Murray Shelter
State: Tennessee
Nearby Town: Roan Mountain
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: US 19E north. Left onto TN 143 south for about 12.7 miles.
Total Hike Distance: 6.60 miles
Hike Difficulty: Moderate
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: In & Out, Backtrack Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Carvers Gap
Trails Used: Appalachian Trail
Backcountry Campsites: Yes
Backcountry Water Sources: Springs
Management: National Park Service
Contact Information: Pisgah National Forest
PO Box 128
Burnsville, NC 28714
(828) 682-6146
www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc
Best Season: Summer
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads
Hike Summary: Start in the Carvers Gap parking area and cross street. There is a sign stating that you are at Carvers Gap. The AT is just beyond the gate. Walk a short distance through evergreens before coming to a grassy meadow. Climb up to the top of Round Bald and take a minute to get a 360 degree view of the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains. This part of the trail is grassy meadow with some low shrubbery. There are blueberry bushes that line the trail for about a mile. Go down Round Bald and start the climb up Jane Bald at 5,807 feet. Again there is a pananramic view of the surrounding mountains. There is a little more plant life on this bald. Descend, steeply, into a forest and continue to do so for the next 2 miles. There are some springs along this area, that I would imagine are only flowing when there has been some rain. They were there this time, but they were shallow and very narrow. Get water here if you need it, since there are not much around after this. The Stan Murray Shelter has water nearby, but it the trail was over run with plants that were painful (I think Stinging Nettles) as I walked through. It is a steep trail down to the spring and straight up to get back to the shelter. I stayed in an area near the shelter, since I have heard horror stories about rodents in shelters. This one was no different. Some hikers ended up staying in the shelter and had mice crawling on them all night. The next day I backtracked to the car. This was a busy trail and there were plenty people hiking from Carvers Gap to Overmountain Shelter.

Hiker:

jayemm

4,650 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply