Dogs And Tents

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
Guests

Post by Guests » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:52 am

We are planning on taking our two labs out backpacking with us. What is the best way to keep them at night? We don't really want them in the tent with us. But we don't want to leave them out either. I was wondering what others do with their dogs at night? Also what does everyone do with keeping their dogs on leash on the trail? Thanks for the help!

BirdShooter

Post by BirdShooter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 am

My lab sleeps in the tent with me. I learned over time that if I didn't put a pad under him, he'd shove me off mine during the night. I also took an old sleeping bag and cut it in half for cold weather. I learned this the hard way after a surprise cold front hit us one night in North Georgia. I ended up spending the night spooning my dog to keep him from shaking:

https://n2backpacking.com/photos/georgi ... tga049.jpg

In terms of leash, I think it depends where you hike. If there are other people and dogs around then you definitely should use a leash. If not (and your dogs are well behaved), then I wouldn't use one unless I came up on other hikers.

BirdShooter

Moondoggy

Post by Moondoggy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 pm

My dog is a runner so I have to keep him on a leash. If I didn't, he would be long gone. If he gets away at home, he might return after several hours, or worst case, the next day, but I can't chance that when I'm on the move and hours from home.

At night, I keep him in the vestibule, but still have to tie his leash off to something.