Beware the Hobo Spider

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
Moondoggy

Post by Moondoggy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:26 am

CAUTION, this post isn't for the squeamish. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Hobo Spiders?

I recently went on a backpacking trip in Montana where I developed what appeared to be a small spider bite or mosquito bite. However, within a few days, the bite developed into a large bump with the the base being about the size of a quarter, and it had a small black scab in the center.

Over the course of about a week or more, the small black scab developed into a slimy ball of black and white dead skin about the size of the tip of my index finger, which ultimately ended up just falling out, leaving a perfectly empty crater about the size of a marble (think about an infected fish eye that ultimately drops out). The end result looked like a pink fleshy volcano.

From there, things only got better (so I was led to believe). I took very good care of the “open crater,â€

TreeFrog

Post by TreeFrog » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:23 am

sounds like a brown recluse - did you ever figure out the species? I know someone that had a similiar experience from a spider bite at an AT shelter.

Moondoggy

Post by Moondoggy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

I never figured out the species. As a matter of fact, I can't even pinpoint the exact time when I got the bite, only when I first noticed it. Apparently, this isn't uncommon, and as near as I can tell, the only way to accurately determine the species is to catch the assailant in the act.

The only reason I think it might have been a Hobo spider rather than a Brown Recluse is because they appear to be more prevalent in the northwest United States. However, their bites appear to exhibit the same characteristics.

The best information I could find was on the following website...

http://www.hobospider.org/

sh4d0wm4573ri7

Post by sh4d0wm4573ri7 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:01 am

I'd venture from experience it sounds like a recluse also , mine was on my wrist and when it erupted I had a pinky finger size hole to the bone .