Tell us how to improve YourHikes.com

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
swampfox

Post by swampfox » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Birdshooter,
First of all, I love the site, but something I would like to see is GPS data for the trails people have hiked. If there was a way for us to share our tracks with each other, that would be a good thing. Here is a site that has something along those lines but the selection is pretty sparse.
http://www.travelbygps.com/premium/foot ... thills.php

I would also like to know what equipment other people use.
There is a wealth of knowledge and experience among these members. What they use would say a lot about a product.
I imagine information added to the profile for tent, sleeping bag, pad, water filter, stove, cookware, backpack, boots, etc. Maybe there is a way to show statistics on how the different brand/models rate, based on member usage.

And last, a place for backpacking recipes. They could be entered into a form so people would know what is expected.
I would want to have:

ingredients
what to do at home (dehydrate, repackage, precook, etc)
what to do in camp (add 2 cups boiling water, mix ingredients x, y, and z)
how many servings
calorie content if possible
where to find special ingredients

You have a great site, keep up the good work.

swampfox

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm

BirdShooter wrote:Since funding yourhikes.com comes out of my personal pocket, I'm open to anything that benefits the community and doesn't cost me a fortune.
You mean you haven't made your first million from your book yet? J/K

Whatever you decide on man, please don't make it as convaluted at the Backpacker site...geez

TTF,
KSVN, Ga
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

Guests

Post by Guests » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 am

Adding some podcasts would be cool - especially hiking related.

April Flower

Post by April Flower » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Have you considered a "add a profile map" option? I realize that they are only about 50-75% accurate, but I'd definitely take them into consideration before I hit the trail (and add a few in the process). Nice work, BirdShooter. Thanks for everything.