What is the coolest animal to see in the backcountry?

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
TreeFrog

Post by TreeFrog » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 am

Saw a moose once in New Hampshire. It was rainy - had been pouring all day - and I wasn't enjoying the trail that much. After seeing the moose, which was the first time I spotted one from the trail, my entire mood changed. I didn't mind hiking in the rain anymore that day.

RB83

Post by RB83 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:32 pm

I once saw a family of five otters feeding in a spring during a morning run at a park in southern Missouri. Very cool!

Guests

Post by Guests » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:38 am

Folks, We don't have moose or grizzlies where I live, and I personally don't think there is anything cool about rattlesnakes (although they are very tasty). Furthermore, wolves have only recently been reintroduced in my area, so sightings are very rare. My vote for the coolest animal to see in the woods is the Mountain Lion, known in some places as the cougar. We have the highest concentration of mountain lions in America here in New Mexico, and some of these cats are 200 pounds or so. To catch a big cat against the skyline at dawn is nature as its finest

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Hey all,

down here in Florida I often see feral hogs, deer, turkeys, never seen a bear but plenty of scat at times at Ocala National Forest, also just saw a gator on a dry trail yesterday while on a local day hike. It was about 75 yds from water on either side of the trail. I almost never see diamondbacks although I know they are there. Cottonmounths seem less shy and see them much more often.

I would like to see a black bear while hiking!