How do you feel about hikers and backpackers that take their dogs on the Trail?

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Chihuahua....

the other, other white meat.
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

peewee

Post by peewee » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:54 pm

If you do bring your canine please keep control of him on the trail. I've taken mine everytime and he is leashed for respect of other hikers.

Lost2gether

Post by Lost2gether » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I would never leave home without our dogs. We have a Rottweiler and a Golden Retriever. They always greet other hikers with tongue and tail wags. I couldn't imagine being on a trail without them. We usually try to find and avoid a lot of the smokies because you're not allowed there with them. Its sad that they are not allowed!

Found-2-Gether

Post by Found-2-Gether » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 pm

As Kristy already said,

Our dogs are like our kids and if we went on a trip without them they would be heartbroken. So I'm all for traildogs as long as they are well mannered and don't act aggressive towards me.

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Yet another bad experience with dog owners who place their dog over my kid. Yet another pit bull on the trail, unleashed, and charged me rather than my son. When my 4 yr old panicked, the dog got interested in him and charged my son. Dog got the snot kicked out of him repeatedly and whacked with the trekking pole. Dog owner was upset at me for hitting his dog..go figure. I wish I could say this is the only experience I've had with vicious dogs on the trail but it's not. And the dog owner's reply of his dog's behavior after he calmed down? "I just don't understand, he's never done that before, I never thought he'd do something like this". Whatever.

I love friendly dogs on the trail but I'm sick to death of kujos.
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

TomVag

Post by TomVag » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I now have a dog. He is very a very small Chihuahua mix. He handles trails surprisingly well and even eagerly crosses shallow, slow moving streams. I reserve easier, and consequently more populated trails for him. I think dogs are fine on the trail as long as they are well trained and LEASHED. My dog is four pounds and gets intimidated when two or three unleashed dogs come running at him. I don't particularly like being on a cliff with strange dogs running at me either. I can understand wanting your dog off the leash but, unless your dog is extremely well behaved, and will not chase people or other dogs down, you should be considerate of others. Also, poop bags are cheap, readily available, and can also be used to pick up trash the idiots leave behind.

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Well said Tomvag. I keep on posting run ins I have with aggressive dogs on the trails. We seem to be going through quite a streak of meeting Kujo's cousins these days on Savannah area trails, but I keep deleting the comment in order to keep it civilized conversation. I simply don't get how people seemingly don't have a problem with their dogs charging, snarling, nipping, at my 4 yr old and then get upset when the dog gets kicked. Are people truly this self centered that they put a dog over a kid? In Savannah, this seems to be the case.
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 am

i'm fine with dogs on the trails as long as they are on leash and the owner picks up after them. it's rather very disgusting and offensive when the owner doesn't pick up after the dog.

andyblack

Post by andyblack » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:15 am

I personally do not like dogs. Sometimes they get on my nerves when they're on the trail, but I understand that a lot of people love their dogs and consider them family members. Therefore, I say bring the dogs on! Just don't cause me to step in any more doggie piles. I may just find out where you and your dog are camped at and leave you a pile of my own in front of your tent.
Just kidding!

hikingfan

Post by hikingfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 am

My dogs are the reason I got into hiking. In fact, they make great companions on the trail. They never complain! The're just happy to be out and about. So I say bring em. Just be respectful of others on the trail, responsible and leash them up, and most importanly, clean up after them. Happy hiking :)