How do you feel about hikers and backpackers that take their dogs on the Trail?

This is a general "around the campfire" forum where you can view or post any comments related to hiking or backpacking.
ARob

Post by ARob » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:01 am

I hate it when people make a big deal about dogs on the trail. I pick up their shit because I don't want it on the trail either, but I had someone give me the stink eye from a horse! If there's an animal who should be barred from the trail it's horses. I am partly joking, but really they cause a lot of trail damage and shit everywhere. Why don't they have to pick up the horse shit? Is it just too much shit? Does that mean if my dog shit more I wouldn't have to pick it up? Also, I don't leave the city and all the stupid people there to go to the wilderness and have my dogs on a leash, they aren't bothering anyone.

rwallace

Post by rwallace » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:32 pm

I plan my trip around places that will allow dogs--- No dogs no trip-- well local only. I'm not crazy enough to put my dog on a plane!

Guests

Post by Guests » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:29 am

Dogs don't leave trash on the trail. They are 50x cleaner than humans. What's the issue here?

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:26 pm

ARob, good post, very funny.
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:17 pm

Hiked with a dog today and I'm completely sold on it keeping the youngsters "into" the hike, however, stepped in a big pile along the trail and it wasn't from the dog we were with. Clean it up, will ya?
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

Guests

Post by Guests » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:16 am

I own two wonderful dogs and adopted them from shelters. They have never been threatening to humans or other animals. I always allow them to run off the leash while hiking. They are in an enclosed area all throughout the week and need to stretch their legs on weekends. I think it is horrible that there are laws against letting your dog run free in a wild area. People can be so petty when they complain about animals running free. These nagging, complaining people are the reason we have stupid laws like leash laws. In my opinion, you are taking a risk of running into a wild animal every time you set foot in a wild area, how is a domestic dog going to cause you trouble in these types of situations???? Please try to put things into perspective people!! You aren't on this earth for very long so take life as it comes to you, laugh a lot, don't be a complainer, and have a good time!!

Tree Top Flyer

Post by Tree Top Flyer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:48 pm

This is a good debate. It's interesting to see how much dogs mean to their owners and rightly so. The war between parents of kids with no dog and owners of dogs with kids is always assured to get heated.

I had a lot more on this comment but decided it would only escalate the fury so I'll just leave it neutral.
Tree Top Flyer
KSVN, Ga

Drip Dry

Post by Drip Dry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 am

I love taking my dog with me on the trails! He is in heaven with all the smells out there. I don't mind other dogs on the trails as long as you clean up after then and take care of them. Theres nothing worse than passing by a dog that is being draged along and is obviously thirsty and tired. They should be having fun just like you! And, just like you, they need water and food to keep them going. Don't forget that!

jethro

Post by jethro » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 am

I am avide hiker in north ga almost every week somewhere and i hardly ever go without my dog!! esp in the areas of bears, but i believe dogs that are house dogs like chiuahuas and pikansee and shitzus need to be left at home and off the trails!!

jethro

Post by jethro » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:13 am

yesterday 2-3 -08 my dog and i hiked to Jacks river falls via beech bottom!! on the way out during the rain we encountered a guy going in at 430 on a trip to the falls which in and out is about 11 miles it was beginnning to rain and he had three chiawahiwas!! with him only a day pack!! and it was raining he was already about 4 miles in!!! THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR HOUSE DOGS!!!Use alittle common sense!!!