Raven Cliff Falls Suspension Bridge - Member Hike

Hike Name: Raven Cliff Falls Suspension Bridge
State: South Carolina
Nearby Town: Greenville
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: Go to Caesar's Head State Park. Trailhead is 1.1 miles north on the same road. Parking is limited. Get there early.
Total Hike Distance: 6.60 miles
Hike Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: In & Out, Backtrack Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Parking Area 1.1 miles north of Caesars Head
Trails Used: Raven Cliff Falls Trail, Gum Gap Trail, and Natureland Trust Trail
Backcountry Campsites: Yes
Backcountry Water Sources: Streams
Management: State Park Service
Contact Information: Unknown
Best Season: Winter, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers, Dogs
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads
Hike Summary: Great hike for the day for yourself or for a family. My wife and two kids joined me. We had previously hiked the Raven Cliff Falls trail to the outlook. That was a very easy hike, and I'm no hiker! After hiking 1.4 miles on the RCF Trail, one reaches the split of RCF trail and Gum Gap Trail. Turn right and enjoy a gentle uphill hike that wraps around to the left and procedes downhill for a bit. After about a .5 mile beginning, a general flat area (marked by an oddly-placed gate) has obviously been used as an overnight camping area. This area can hold maybe 3 tents. The GG trail takes a 90-degree left turn onto what looks like a rough service road...wide enough to get a small jeep through. A risky water source is about .2 miles to the left of the camping area...if you NEED one. Boil water first. From the beginning of the GG trail, a total hike of 1.5 miles on the blue blaze will get you to the terminus of the pink blazed "Natureland Trust Trail." This trail is quite a bit narrower than the GG trail, but not at all uncomfortable. The entire trip from the terminus to the suspension bridge (about .4 miles) is down hill at varying degrees of slope...none too difficult for my 8-year old daughter! Our trip was taken in mid-November. Temperatures were in the upper 50's to low 60's. GREAT views as many leaves had fallen, allowing us to see into the valleys below us, and still be able to enjoy bright yellow, red, and brown leaves as well as the green rhododendron and mountain laurel.

Hiker:

rstorm

500 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply