Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park - Member Hike

Hike Name: Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park
State: Washington
Nearby Town: Issaquah
Rating: 4 stars
Directions: From I-90 take exit 13 onto Lakemont Boulevard. Drive south on Lakemont Boulevard, which becomes Newcastle-Coal Creek Road. After crossing "The Pass," turn left (east) onto Cougar Mountain Way. Continue about 0.5 mile before turning right (south) onto 166th Way. Drive about 0.75 mile to a gate and park, being sure not to block the gate.
Total Hike Distance: 6.00 miles
Hike Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Permit Required: No
Hike Type: Roundtrip, Loop Hike
Hike Starts/Ends: Shangri La Trailhead
Trails Used: Shangri La, Protector, Clay Pit Mine Road, Mine Shaft Trail, East Fork Trail
Backcountry Campsites: No
Backcountry Water Sources: Streams
Management: Other
Contact Information: King County Parks and Rec
http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks/inventory/cougar.aspx
Best Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Users: Hikers, Horses
Road Conditions: Primary Paved Roads, Maintained Gravel or Dirt Roads
Hike Summary: Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park has a series of trails. A loop hike of distances ranging from 10 miles to 1 mile are possible due to many intersecting trailheads. Most are well marked thanks to excellent signage. The trails themselves are overwhelmingly well maintained. No bikes are allowed anywhere in the park. Many trails allow horses.

For our first hike here, We chose a loop that was approx 6 miles. Most of which was relatively flat. Foilage provides good suncover through most of the park. Streams and marshes provide a rich rain-forest feel in many areas.

Since there are multiple options and trailheads, I am going to detail each individual hike we do in the trip reports and just add park information on the hike page.

Hiker:

TomSneath

7,650 points

Recommended

Trip Reports

There are no Trip Reports yet.

Comments

There are no comments yet.

Leave a Reply